Best Selling Singles Of All Time

Best Selling Singles Of All Time

Have you ever wondered what the best selling singles of all time are? Look no further! Will definitely have to make a playlist with these songs! (Updated 16/7/2012)

I am going to follow suit and develop a digital singles chart – stay tuned

If you like this post, explore my site or check out my others -

Artist Single  Released  Sold (Millions)
Bing Crosby White Christmas 1942 50
Elton John Candle in the Wind 1997″/”Something About the Way You Look Tonight 1997 33
Bing Crosby Silent Night 1935 30
Mitch Miller March from Bridge On The River Kwai 1957 5
Jerry Lee Lewis Great Balls of Fire 1957 5
Elvis Presley Don’t Be Cruel 1956 5
Elvis Presley Love Me Tender 1956 5
Gene Autry That Silver-Haired Daddy Of Mine 1939 5
Gene Austin My Blue Heaven 1927 5

Come check out the directory for the rest of my projects and post series!

Some interesting ones in there!If you enjoyed this post, come explore or jump straight to my posts on music or writing.

Submegmusic

This has been taken from here.

About these ads
Comments
57 Responses to “Best Selling Singles Of All Time”
  1. Rene says:

Nice try, but i can’t find Elvis in you’re list and come on…Baccara?

2. chris says:

Surely shakin stevens sold more than any of them. And as far as cultural impact goes, he made wooly jumpers popular again briefly

3. brian says:

If you look at Billboard number1 list, Bing went to number one every December for 5 or 6 years. Maybe 5 or 6 years out of 8.

4. brian says:

That’s looking at the top albums etc from the 40’s in case that isn’t obvious.

5. brian says:

Elvis having only 2 here makes sense to me as well because there were fewer people and less disposable income in the 50’s. The list isn’t about total number ones, it’s about total sold

6. Renilson says:

Cadê “Billie Jean”, “Black or White” e “Earth Song” do MJ? E “I’ll Be There” vendeu 6,1 e não 5.

7. Aaron says:

Whitney Houston!!!

8. Farhad says:

Lol this can´t be right! Where is Michael Jackson? Come on!

• submeg says:

The Jackson 5 – I Want You Back, The Jackson 5 – I’ll Be There. Of course, the majority of his sales came from album sales. The best selling album is Thriller. That’s where his sales are.

EDIT: There are now Michael Jackson singles in this list.

• Tobias Borg says:

Yeah the Jackson 5, but still…. Thriller is still the most selling album out there, and the single must’ve sold more than for example Paul Anka’s Diana..
        This list is not accurate!

• submeg says:

I am trying to keep this as accurate as possible, but it is hard to keep track of every single song that has reached this level.

Michael Jackson’s Thriller has now achieved more than five million sales.

9. Nana says:

What about “We are the world” by MJ? Can’t believe i don’t find it!!!

• submeg says:

This was definitely not one of his most famous tracks. There are many of his in this list, keep looking!

• Yasmin says:

We Are The World is the number one charity song ever created. It is one of the top 30 selling singles to have sold over 10 million copies. If it’ll help, it did raise $63 million world wide. Billie Jean has sold 8 million copies. You seem to be relying on dated data. He has sold 40 million records since his death, so one could only imagine how many singles.

10. david says:

what about Irene caras ‘What a feeling” #1 in 7 countires and certified platinum here in the USA? i cant believe it did sell in the 5-6 million range

11. steve says:

Do they know its Christmas by Band Aid ??????

12. Steval says:

Wat of livn la vida loca by ricky martin.that waz a hit!

13. What!!? Where is Michael Jackson? That is fake

14. John VE says:

Wikipedia says: “A second version of the song, sung partly in English, released as “Time to Say Goodbye”, paired Bocelli with English soprano Sarah Brightman, and achieved even greater success, topping charts all across Europe, including Germany, where it became the biggest-selling single in history.That version alone has now sold more than 12 million copies worldwide.”

Just curious … I didn’t see it on your list. (Credos on this site and your responses .. awesome!)

• submeg says:

Hadn’t seen that one; what is the original song? Will have to add it in and advise those that have collated the data that there could be an extra song to add.

15. Jim says:

There’s one more missing from the list: Joe Dolce: Shaddup You Face. It has about 6 million sales and is still the highest selling Australian produced single ever.

16. Paul McIver says:

hey fella Bobby Goldsborro would be upset with you…..check the sales…it was released twice

17. mmmmeeeeee says:

where is Ozzy Osbourne?

18. Luke says:

A few surprises there, great list thanks for that !

19. Joe says:

Mrs brown you’ve got a lovely daughter… How many millions … I’ve read variations up to 13 ?

20. Joe says:

How is it that Paul anka’s .. Diana . Is reputed to have sold 20,million and also 9 million … Has it actually sold 29 million.?

21. bobdog says:

excellent and thorough collection of data.

22. Where is Patti Page’s 10 million seller THE TENNESSEE WALTZ?

23. anderzdoving says:

Well it’s a nice list – and the same as wikipedia use. But I’m afraid there’s some singles missing: Did you know that Teixeirinha’s “Coracao de Luto” has sold somewhere between 25 to 35 mill. copies – and should be either number two or three on the list? Keep searching!

24. Mare says:

Cool list but You should update it.:) Some new songs came out and some older songs were sold more.:)

• submeg says:

Hi Mare,

Yes I will have to update this list. I have been away from this site for a while, as I’ve had to focus on other things, but I am back now. Feel free to make suggestions of what you would like to see!

Submeg

25. Steve says:

Amazing Wings biggest seller only made it to #33 in US.

26. edward owen says:

PRETTY WOMAN FROM ROY ORBISON WAS THE 15TH BEST SELLING SINGLE OF ALL TIME ON A RECENT TV PROGRAM,CANT SEE IT HERE.

• submeg says:

Thanks Edward, do you have a reference for it? If so, I’ll add it straight in, otherwise I will have to research it. Thanks for the heads up!

27. steve says:

Did I miss the Beatles?

28. Steve says:

Hey man cool list but You maybe should check some titles and certification again and some new songs maybe. “Royals”from that Lorde girl is sold over 7 mill.. Whitney Houston Ï will always…” is sold esp after her death to 20 mill making it the best selling female single It was it on NBC also hers I wanna dance with… is sold 8..than Mariah’s all I want for Xmass is sold more than 12.;)

• submeg says:

Hey Steve,

Thanks for the feedback! I know there are heaps of songs that I have to add – I’ve been extremely busy! Do you have any references for these values?

Submeg

Tell me what you think!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

• Views:

• 286,085 hits
  • submeg.fm: 30,377 songs 6,160 artists
    AND GROWING...

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 846 other followers