SA. Heaps Good
I thought I would do a post about South Australia. Here are some interesting facts!
- Higher ratio of cafes and restaurants to residents than any other city in Australia
- Wine capital of Australia
- We produce more wind power than the rest of Australia
- The only Migration Museum in Australia
- Opal capital of the world
- The National Motor Museum in the Adelaide hills, which houses Australia’s largest and most important collection of motor vehicles. The collection, which comprises over 300 cars, motorcycles and commercial vehicles is considered to be one of the best in the world.
- The largest vintage car rally in the Southern Hemisphere (Bay to Birdwood)
- The largest fresh produce market in the Southern Hemisphere and the longest running in Australia.
- The Obahn is the longest guided busway in the world.
- the only Australian state never to have received Convicts
- Houses one end point of the dingo fence (5,614 km)
- Home to the world’s largest golf course – Nullarbor Links. It stretches 1,365 km and crosses two time zones
- The largest and oldest glasshouses in a Botanic Garden in the Southern Hemisphere. Imported from London
- Floral Emblem: Sturt’s Desert Pea (Swainsona Formosa)
- Fauna Emblem: Hairy-Nosed or Plains Wombat (Lasiorhinus latifrons)
- Marine Emblem: Leafy Seadragon (Phycodurus eques)
- Gemstone emblem: Opal
- Total Area: 983 482 sq. Km (12.7% of Australia’s total)- OR 4x bigger than Great Britain OR equal to 43,670 AFL pitches OR 91,063 soccer pitches
- Population: 1,633,900
- The average summer temperature is 29 degrees Celsius
- The average winter temperature is a mild 15 degrees Celsius
Hope some of these were interesting!